The FoGSV are keen to learn more about what is happening in the gulf and to support other groups with similar goals.
There are a number of ways of doing this, for example by publicising relevant events, and providing opportunities for the community to engage in a wide range of activities.
The FoGSV have participated in, or contributed to, community education and art projects such as coastal sculpture, mosaics and beachfront interpretive signage.
The FoGSV are fortunate to have members who are among South Australia’s most knowledgeable marine scientists, and we pick their brains when issues arise that are of concern. It is important that we consider the best available information and canvass opinion widely when writing submissions, or supporting coastal communities in their efforts to improve local conditions or prevent inappropriate uses of the environment.
Some current matters of interest:
- impact of the Adelaide Desalination Plant
- fate of the Port Stanvac Jetty
- implementation of Marine Parks
- adoption of the recommendations of the Torrens River Task Force
- protection of the Tennyson Dunes
- impact of climate change on coastal areas in the gulf
- impact of urban development on the coast
If you have ideas for activities or speakers for future Community Fora, we would love to hear from you!